Step aboard a magnificent, traditional Arab dhow for your peaceful exploration of exquisite Quirimbas islands. Sit back and relax as your pro crew and skipper take you to remote isles where only wild creatures inhabit lush vegetation.
Bet you didn’t know that the Ibo Island Lodge dhows happen to be some of the best in Africa? Yes, a boat building expert in the northern tip of Zanzibar built the two 12-meter traditional dhows by hand for Ibo within 3 months.
Can you believe that dhow chartering started in 600AD in Mozambique? Yet these sturdy sailing vessels are still a great form of natural transport today. Spend your sunny days snorkelling, diving and sea kayaking from your dhow base as the sun blazes over flat blue waters.
Choose your Voyage Style
Sailing in a traditional dhow is one of the best experiences you can have in Mozambique. And when you choose Ibo Island Lodge island hopping dhow safaris, you know you are in good hands.
- Sleep aboard dhow safaris invite you to be rocked to sleep on board the vessel as the stars come out one by one
- Camping dhow safaris mean disembarking on deserted islands for the night while your crew cook over glowing coals and you toast the moon
- You can do the villa to villa dhow safari where you stay in exclusive island accommodation and enjoy fine fare
- Or embark on the best SUP expedition of offer, paddling and dhow sailing to the islands of the Quirimbas.
The Islands you will see
The Quirimbas Archipelago is a radical new destination that has been seen by the lucky few…and today the region is one of the world’s most sought-after tourist destinations.
- All dhow safaris start and end at Ibo Island, the original trading hub of this string of islands. Nominated as a World Heritage Site, it hosts the head-quarters of the Quirimbas National Park and promises more than 1000 years of history and culture to uncover.
- Once you have set off on your dhow safari, you will arrive at Darumba Island, your first stop, some 4 hours later. Prepare for lots of giggling children who may come to look at your curious faces. Pitch camp and kayak around the mangrove swamps for a few hours to observe the wildlife
- The next stop, Mogundula islandis so beautiful – verdant and blue and white all converging to create a floating paradise where only kayakers and dhow sailors come to camp every now and again
- The gorgeous Matemo Islandboasts stunning A-Frame chalets right on the beach, offering elegant comfort from the elements. Look out for the giant coconut crabs, sea and estuary bird species and rich coral reefs.